Logo

Water leaking from around number 1 spark plug 1982 40 hp

jp_banks

I have a 1982 40hp Mercury engine. I have a water leak from around #1 spark plug. This makes the 2nd time I've changed the gasket. This time I put a little extra permatex around the spark plug area. I replaced the gasket 28 Mar 2010, waited to start it the 29th. It seem to be working as there was no leak at all when I started it up. I took it out today and when I returned home it was leaking bad. Any help wud be most appreciated. Thank you.

JP

Re: Water leaking from around number 1 spark plug

JP (my initials too!):

You need to remove that cover again and "glass plate" sand it flat. I use a large piece of coarse sandpaper taped to a window (which is nice and flat). Keep the cover flat as you work it back and forth, turning it end for end every few strokes. But if it won't sand flat--you''ll be able to tell immediately--then you might need another cover.

Jeff

PS: I MIGHT have one out back.

Hi Jeff,
Are we talking about the same cover. The cover off my engine is not a flat cover. It has a raised portion on one side about 3/4 inches high and 9 inches long and there are two slightly raised areas around the holes for the spark plug. There is no way I can sand this cover flat. This engine is a 1982 40hp serial #6084491. So are we speaking of the same cover?

Correction on the length of the raised protion. Instead of 9 inches long it is about 5.5 inches. The complete cover is approx 9 inches long.

JP

Back