Logo

1976 9.8 hp Mercury 110 cover

wyreed

Can someone tell me how to remove the cover from a 1976 110 9.8 hp?
There are no levers or buttons on or around the cover.
There is a hole just below the cover, left of the choke, but as far as I can see, nothing in there to push or pull.
Any help would be appreciated.
As I am sure is obvious, I am a novice with outboards, but I have worked on my share of small engines.
The prior owner tells me he never started this kicker in the ten years he had it, so I would like to check it out before trying to start it.
Thanks

Re: 1976 Mercury 110 cover

There should be a release lever just to the right of the stop switch (If I'm remembering correctly), on the bottom cowl.

You kinda push it down like a lever and it releases a catch at the back of the cowl...

That would match up with the hole I have just below the cowl. To the right of the stop switch and the left of the choke. Unfortunately no switch, so it was probably broken off. At least I feel better about not being able to find it. Thanks for you help. I will fish around in that hole and see if there is anything left of the release lever inside.

Look at the rear, "U" shaped handle of the motor. At the bottom on the insides you will find a piece (on both sides) that rotates downward to unlock the hood.

Jeff

Or look in that hole for a (rod) - that release knob thingy would have been connected to a rod that runs all the way to the latch at the back of the cowl.

If the rod is still there you may be able to grab it with a pair of needle nosed pliers and pull it towards you, which would release the lock...

Mine was broke off when I got it and someone had stuck a drywall screw in the old hole to release it. It's still there and working !

Back