Logo

2004 115hp Optimax

blair_brad

Hello Guys,
I am currently looking at purchasing a 2004 115hp Merc Optimax w/ very low hours. I use the boat to fish. I troll w/ a 10hp kicker so the 115hp would be used to get from point A to point B. I am concerned that this 3 cylinder motor is not enough for my 21' center console Sylvan which is a fairly heavy boat. What is everyone's thoughts in terms of performance and warranty? Are there current issues that I should be aware of? Is this motor worth purchasing if it's a good deal?
Brad

The 2004 models are a pretty solid motor, by 2001/02 Merc had pretty much ironed out the bugs in the original design.

I do agree however, that a 115 may be a little "light" on power when strapped to the back of a 21 footer.

I am familiar with some of the Sylvan line (and they are "heavy" compared to the competition) and that particular motor would be more practical on one of their 17-19 foot fish/ski models (1200-1500 lb dry weight boat).

If you want to a particular boat to handle to the potential to which it was designed, you need to power it with at least 80% of the "maximum" horsepower recommendation for that particular model.

So, depending on your exact model/production year you should probably be looking for a motor in the 175+ horse class.

Speed isn't everything, but if you end up with a combo that won't quite make 30 mph you will forever regret your decision....

Back