Logo

Message for galamb

MSather

Do you know if I pull out the prop shaft will the clutch and bearing carrier and cam follower all come out together or do I have to go back on top and mess with the pinion gear first?

In general (some lower units are a little different), when you remove the bearing carrier (first), then you can remove the propshaft, reverse gear and the clutch without removing the pinion.

But the pinion must be removed to get at the forward gear.

Often in the process of removing the propshaft, the cam follower will (dislodge) and simply fall off in the case - but you can just reach in and pick it out.

If you do simply remove the pinion to get at the foward gear, throw away the pinion nut and replace it (new) upon reassembly...

Should have added - IF you need to replace EITHER the pinion or the forward gear then you MUST buy a new pair, even if one is still good.

The pinion and forward gears are like a "matched set", simply replacing only one could lead to a very quick failure.

(you may get differing opinions on that one, I trust the word of the designers)....

Thanks for all the insight, I'll let you know how it goes and if there is anything else. In the mean time if you think of something else to look out for feel free to thread it.

Back