Logo

1995 150 hp XRI full dismantle of prop shaft and gears

MSather

Has anyone dismantled the entire prop shaft, forward and revearse gears and clutch and can it be done without the OEM tools? I think I lost the forward gear, I can turn the prop shaft clockwise when in forward position and it is clicking, I can't turn prop shaft either way when in reverse. Thus I think I found my prop slipping issue at take off and clunk in the lower unit. Any insight would be great.

Re: 1995 150 XRI full dismantle of prop shaft and gears

NO, it won't turn any other way except clockwise when in forward position and it clicks. Except in nuetral of course it spins freely either way. I drained the oil and it was still fresh, with no metal chunks. So I'm thinking either a toothe broke off forward or the clutch is slipping in forward. I have a manual and I am going to start pulling things apart as far as I can. I know I have to pull the shift shaft first, but it says I need a bushing tool. Then I can pull the prop shaft but it says I need a Cover nut tool. Just wondering if there is good substitutes for their tools or I'll have to wing it.

My money would be on a bad clutch dog...

You don't need the OEM tools although they definately make it easier - there really is no "off the shelf" tool that will replace the ones specified, just have to fiddle until you find something that works.

The one that can be the most challenging is the shift shaft bushing, which is down in a (hole) so your access really is limited.

The tool for that one looks like a socket with a couple ears on it (to engage the groves cut in the top of the threaded bushing), but you can "worry it out" if you play around enough.

If your manual shows pictures or diagrams of the "special" tools, you should be able to figure what might be used in it's place...

Thanks galamb, will the clutch come out when I pull the prop shaft without having to mess with the top side pinion gear? or do I have to pull it too and then go after the forward gear?

Back