Logo

gearcase reinstall problem

friarjorge

I have a 2006 mercury optimax which i just changed the waterpump on. Upon attempting to reinstall lowerunit the driveshaft would not realign with the driveshaft housing. I put the shifter in forward and spun the flywheel to realign the splines but this did not work.The piece that the driveshaft meshes with appears to be floating freely in driveshaft housing my question is, is this normal and should I place the shifter in forward when attempting to reinstall.Any help is appreciated.

The shifter and the lower unit should both be in nuetral. Use 2 people to put the lower unit back up. 1 person holds it up after you have it started, and the other can turn the drive shaft to get it aligned. make sure that the water pick up tube is aligned or you can fry the powerhead. Also make sure the shift linkage is lined up.

tried that technique with no results,appears there is something preventing the driveshaft from entering a spacer of some sort that is floating around up in driveshaft housing. thanks for quick reply.

there shouldn't be anything that is "just floating around". The drive shaft on everyone I have had apart goes right up after getting the splines lined back up.

was told the seal at the bottom of the crankshaft may have pulled out with driveshaft,makes sense it fits description of what I saw sitting above exhaust plate. will follow up when i check it again

crankshaft seal was the problem lined it up on driveshaft and reinstalled unit.hope no problems arise after running engine. thanks again this is a useful website

Back