Logo

1999 9.9 hp rebuild question for Graham

Graham,
After trying everything you mentioned and then some, I have decided its time for a rebuild. I am looking on E-bay for a used powerhead and have found a few. My question is, if they do not state the year, can you give the range of serial numbers that would work? Thanks in advance.

Richard

Re: 93-9.9 rebuild question for Graham

You can use anything between 1986 and 2005 and they will bolt right up.

Now having said that, the 9.9 used Merc's 12.8 cubic inch block between 1986-1994 (which it shared with the 6 and 8 horse motors).

In 1995 they paired the 9.9 with the 15 and it adopted the 16 cubic inch block that the 15 horse had been using all along. So the 1995 and newer 9.9's are potentially a more gutsy motor.

But everything else is interchangable - the ignition, carb, on and on will still bolt right up and work perfectly even if you have donor motors built before of after the change in 1995.

Aside from the displacement change in 95, the exhaust plate and the water tube changed a little as well - however, both parts will still bolt right up (as a pair) to either pre or post models.

So basically, any serial 0A918999 and up will work, serials 0G077364 and up will be the higher displacement block.

And, before you ask, yes, a 1995-on 9.9 can be converted to 15 horse. A carb plus an exhaust plate/tube change is all that is needed - a pre-95 9.9 can not...

Re: 93-9.9 rebuild question for Graham

Thank you so much! If you are ever in South Dakota on the Mighty Mo, let me know, I owe you for all the valuable info you have shared. (I have way-points for most of it in SD all the way to almost the ND border. All holding the tasty Walleyes) Thanks again.

Back