Logo

Mercury Outboard Rectifier Questions 1979 80 hp

BradVT

Hi,

I recently bought the a rectifier for my 1979 Mercury 80hp outboard. Unfortunately, while installing it I foolishly forgot to disconnect the battery and I jumped a spark on the rectifier. The Seloc manual says to test continuity between the alternating terminal and the positive terminal. When I test the positive rectifier lead without the alternating wires connected (yellow wires from stator) There is no continuity, but when I attach the yellow wires and single black wire, my voltmeter indicates continuity. This is different than the old rectifier which indicates continuity without the yellow wires on one alternating lead and not the other, which lead me to believe it was faulty in the first place.

Honestly I'm not sure what is going on, I guess I was just wondering if anyone could provide some insight into whether I completely fried the rectifier when it sparked, or if something else might be going on. Is it possible that I fried something else when it sparked? I don't mind buying another rectifier, I'm just trying to make sure I didn't break the new switchbox I just replaced. Any help or advice would be very appreciated.
Thanks!!

Re: Mercury Outboard Rectifier Questions

Sorry, but it's proably fried.

Radio Shack sells a small rectifier that people have used successfully. Costs about 6 bucks, but you have to make a bracket for it.

Jeff

Back