Logo

MPG to expect on a 1998 200 HP carbuerated outboard on a 22' boat

sbklf

Contributing Member
I will experiment with it to see but wonder if someone can tell me how many miles to the gallon I might expect to get on my boat to get a feel for its range. It is a 22' V-hull fiberglass boat. Dry weight of the boat is about 1800 so total with motor and people is going to be 3000 or so. The motor is a 1998 Merc 200 HP carbureted motor. Thanks

Re: MPG to expect on a 98 200 HP carbuerated outboard on a 22' boat

At cruise speed, the rule of the thumb is about 1 gal per hour per 10 hp.

Jeff

This should give you a rough idea - the test boat was a 21 footer with a test weight of about 2600 pounds..

Last edited:

Awsome, thanks for the replies. It looks like 2 mpg is a good estimate. I ran one tank thru it and that looks like about what it used but I will do a more controlled test to confirm.

Hey Grahm, Where did you find that chart, I would like to find 1 for my 98 113

I don't have a "total or extensive" collection of test numbers but my source is boattest.com

Alot of the mfgs and dealers give these guys a boat for the day to do "real world testing" with the agreement that they will post their actual findings regardless of whether they support or call into question the claims of the mfg.

Because it's a voluntary thing so you don't always get every combination of boats/motors, in fact there is a very notable lack of data on Evinrude ETEC's.

But Merc, Yami and Honda are active participants on the outboard side with Volvo and Mercruiser in the I/O flavour - those combined with the many boat mfgs that like the free advertisement for their products means that even if your exact combo hasn't been tested, you can usually find a "similar hull" that should give you a reasonable approximation of what you may see on your own rig.

Since they mostly test "new" rigs, recent tests are almost exclusively DFI 2 strokes and 4 stroke outboards, but since they also occasionally test (resale) models, you do trip over the odd test for carburated 2 strokes.

Anyhow, check out the site (boattest.com), lot's of good info, the drop downs for the test data can be found at the upper left of their main page...

Back