Logo

Outboard Trim is not working up or down

ywork13

Not exactly sure what is wrong with my trim. I have a 89 fiberglass bass tracker with a 175 mercury. The trim does not go up or down. It just makes a click sound when hitting the trim switch either up or down. The click sound is coming from the engine. I noticed that it seems to be only one solenoid that is actually making a click sound and not the other one either up or down. I believe the relay is located on the outside part of the engine i traced the trim wired to it. it is grounded to the motor. So i am not sure if it is the relay or solenoids. Any suggestions?

just was looking at a picture of a relay at http://www.iboats.com/Mercury-Power...6079704--session_id.719717389--view_id.271573. The device i thought was the relay mounted on the outside of the motor does not look like this. It is round with a wire from the back trim switch going into it and another wire that is grounded. I looked around my batteries and could not locate this type of relay which a guy told me just to hit it a few times and try the trim. Also any suggestions on where my fuses would be located at. I could not find any under my steering column

UPDATE: I have replaced both solenoids and still no luck. Both solenoids just click. Not sure what else to look for. Any suggestions?

Sounds like the motor may be fried. Before you replace it though have some one push the trim button shile you check that power is getting to it.

i have attached a few pictures of what i am seeing. I keep hearing about relays being an issues but could only locate one that was inclose. I also found a round thing mounted on the lower unit which i have no idea what it is, but the wire coming out of it goes to the trim switch? I also hear about running the batters right to the trim motor, not sure exactly how to do that since there is a tube with the wires coming out of the trim pump motor and than connecting to both solenoids? I also checked the two fuses on the engine and they were good.

Attachments

• IMG_1445.jpg
    IMG_1445.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_1443.JPG
    IMG_1443.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1444.jpg
    IMG_1444.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1446.jpg
    IMG_1446.jpg