Logo

Mercury Magnum 2

bjohnson_7

Hey...new guy here to the forums. How yall doin? I may be buying a 1987 Hydrasport 18' bass boat with a Mercury Magnum 2. It hasn't been ran in 2 years but was set up for storage. What all do I need to do before I try to crank it. I figure cleaning the carb and a putting in a new impeller would be a good start what else do I need to do? Any help is appreciated.

Drain gas tank completely fill with fresh gas, as you said clean carbs, new impeller, I would put new NGK plugs in, and make sure batts are fully charged. Also check under cowlong for mice and dirt dobbers nest. also check for chewed on wires

I would also change the lower gear oil.

And before trying to start it, in addition to the above suggestions, I would pull the plugs and make sure you can rotate the flywheel by hand first through a couple revolutions (a shot of fogging oil or even WD40 into each cylinder first, through the sparkplug hole wouldn't hurt) - just to make sure nothing has seized up on you.

Once you do have it running I would either add some (SeaFoam) to the gas and run it for a bit or grab a can of "PowerTune" from a Merc dealer (sells for about 5 bucks) and follow the directions.

Either product will clean all the "cooties" out of the powerhead. I prefer the PowerTune simply because it is sprayed directly into the carb(s) and you get near instant results, but either method is fine and worth doing anytime you bring a motor "out of storage"....

Back