Logo

1995 Mercury 200 EFI Voltage Regulator

live2fish

Hi,
After launching my boat this morning and starting it I noticed my voltage meter on dash was reading 16.5V at idol. I ran it up the bayou at 5000 RPM and it was still showing 16.5V. I put it back on the trailer and came home. I removed the cowling and started looking. I noticed the voltage regulator (top one) had a tie wrap around the wires coming from the stator to the VR and the rubber covers at the connections were fused togather. I cut them apart, put my ear muffs on motor and started it up. The volt meter on dash still read 16.6V. I checked the voltage at the battery with a volt meter and it showed 17.2V. I disconnected the top voltage regulator and the meter on dash showed 14.5V and battery was 14.2. I moved the tach wire (gray) to the bottom VR and it would not work. Left the red and yellow wires disconnected (on top VR ) and plugged the gray wire back into the top VR and the tach worked. Can I run with one voltage regulator? Can both regulators be bad? Would the stator cause the regulators to go bad? I do not have a manual on the motor SN 0G275865. Would an outboard repair shop have something to plug in to give a reading on what is wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Both are probably bad. I always changed both. The stator could cause an over-charge if any of the yellow wires are shorting to an unwanted ground. That wiring normally looks heated. Deep cycle batteries have some to do with that. They are more resistant to being charged and sometimes more than this system can handle.

You can get buy with one unit, but at 20 amps instead of 40. You do not need any special tools to check out this system. Just a DVOM and a manual.

Hi,
After launching my boat this morning and starting it I noticed my voltage meter on dash was reading 16.5V at idol. I ran it up the bayou at 5000 RPM and it was still showing 16.5V. I put it back on the trailer and came home. I removed the cowling and started looking. I noticed the voltage regulator (top one) had a tie wrap around the wires coming from the stator to the VR and the rubber covers at the connections were fused togather. I cut them apart, put my ear muffs on motor and started it up. The volt meter on dash still read 16.6V. I checked the voltage at the battery with a volt meter and it showed 17.2V. I disconnected the top voltage regulator and the meter on dash showed 14.5V and battery was 14.2. I moved the tach wire (gray) to the bottom VR and it would not work. Left the red and yellow wires disconnected (on top VR ) and plugged the gray wire back into the top VR and the tach worked. Can I run with one voltage regulator? Can both regulators be bad? Would the stator cause the regulators to go bad? I do not have a manual on the motor SN 0G275865. Would an outboard repair shop have something to plug in to give a reading on what is wrong?

Thanks for any help.

I don't know if I'm doing this correctly. But it sounds like you guys have this handled. I am trying to post a question for my 1995 150HP XRI concerning it has a multiple clunk as I take off that has gotten progressively worse. As soon as I accellerate it starts clunking and sounds like it is in the lower unit I replaces the water pump because it sounded like it was an air hammer but now it sounds like the prop shaft is slipping and I'm hitting a stump multiple times. It idles fine and goes at idle speed fine. Last year before I put it away for the winter it would clunk a few times until I got it on plane and then would run fine on plane up to 64mph. Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience and how I can post this question without replying to someone elses question? Thanks for any help.

Sounds like the prop might be loose. If not mark the prop and hub with a grease pen and go run it, then check to see if there is slipping. If it is slipping then you need to go get it rehubbed.

To answer the other question, at the top of the forum there is a tab that says new topic, click on that and you can start a new thread. Hope this helps some.

Thanks, I will look at that. It has a synthetic hub that I replaced last year. But maybe the hub is slipping inside the prop some how.

Back