Logo

2008 honda 2 hp

anddoh

Hi everybody, I have a 2hp honda 2008 model.
Last week i was going out to check my boat mooring, pumps etc as there was a cyclone alert. I was using a small inflatable boat with the honda 2hp on it.
After tying up to big boat and climbing out of the inflatable a big gust of wind blew the inflatable upside down in the water. The motor was underwater for about 5 minuites before i could get it back over with the wind blowing.
I pulled the starter and felt resistance so stopped and rowed to shore.
When i got home i removed the plug, drained the fuel and oil and replaced them with new.
On starting the engine it would idle but as soon as i tried to rev the engine it died.
I then removed carby, dismantled it and cleaned with carby cleaner, i then changed the oil again reassembled and fitted the carby started it up but it still died when i reved the engine .
If i pull the choke out about halfway and rev it the motor runs fine:confused:.
Any ideas or help would be appreciated, thanks ANDDOH.

Re: honda 2hp

The half out choke is a typical sign of carburator jet blockage.

It sounds like you still have some issues with the carb. When you take it apart, be sure to totally disassemble it. Pay close attention to the main jet and nozzle. There may be corrosion from the water.

You need to clean out the idle/slow speed circuit too. Make sure all passages are clear.

Double check to be sure that the gaskets in front of and behind the carb are in completely and correctly. They fall out easily and can easily be put in backwards or upside down.

Make sure that the fuel has not water left in it.

Thanks Hondadude, I have removed the bowl,float,main jet, nozzle and the top chamber and cleaned all with carby cleaner 3 times and can't find any blockages even though i know there is one, with the same result.
Is there any other thing to check?
I will try again to find the blockage.
Does anybody have a schematic of the 2hp 4stroke carby that they would be willing to send me.
Thanks, Anddoh.

Last edited:

Thanks again Hondadude,
I did what you said by removing the plastic plug and found the hole in the bottom of it only allowed a small amount of air through. I didn't know how large it was so i cleaned it and reinstalled it removed the idle mixture screw and cleaned that passage.
I turned the compressor pressure to 100psi and blew out the carby and reassembled it.
This time it reved out fine but wouldn't idle
Then i removed the carby again dismantled it and cleaned it again and found nothing so in frustration i removed the black plug and pushed a piece of wire i pulled out of a wire brush through the hole in the bottom of the black plug, It needed quite a lot of force but gave all of a sudden.
Then i cleaned and reassembled the carby fitted it and fired it up.
It runs perfect, fitted to test tank and tested under load for 20 mins all ok.
Thanks again for your advice and hope this may be of help to some poor joe with the same problem.
ANDDOH.

Back