Logo

2006 200 hp BF200 just quit

erk

"I have a 2006 BF200A BAEJ that until recently has been a very reliable engine with no major problems. I had running on plane when it spuddered a little and just quit. I was able to start it back up and it idled briefly and then quit never to run again. I assumed the problem was fuel so I changed all of the filters and the HP fuel pump. This did not work so I swallowed my pride and took it to the Honda dealership. Well, it has been more than a month now and it is still not fixed. They say that the fuel and fuel pressure are good and the spark is good. They want to pull the heads for a major overhaul. The engine has about 600 hours on it but even if it needs a valve job would that explain the way the engine just quit? I am no expert but shouldn't the engine run poorly or at least try to run if the problem is in the heads? Thanks in advance for any advice. -ERK"

"I'm no expert either but

"I'm no expert either but I would ask some questions before I authorized any major engine work.

For one, I would want them to explain how they arrived at this prognosis. Is the engine locked up? Can they show you it is locked?

If not, did they perform a compression test and can they give you the results of that test.

Something doesn't smell right here if you're giving us the whole story. I might be inclined to pay a different shop or mechanic to do another assessment on the engine. You're description of the way it stopped does sound like it is a fuel problem or, that it may have jumped time.

Like I said, I'm no expert and I don't know this engine but I think you are being wise to question a need for an overhaul until you have more info."

"Yeah - this does sound a litt

"Yeah - this does sound a little fishy to me, too.
With adequate spark and fuel, it should at least fire up for a couple turns, assuming the engine is not locked up. If it is locked up, make them show you, as Jimmy recommended. If it is locked up, then you need them to check for water injestion into one or more cylinders. If there is water injestion, then that is likely due to the known problems with the exhaust tubes, and will be a warranty repair per Honda Service Bulletin #56.

First thing they need to do is run the diagnostics with the HDS computer and go over the readout with you. If they don't have an HDS, find another dealer who does. That will identify any problems with the ECM and fuel injection, as well as any sensor problems. From what you described, I would be suspicious of the ECM. They have been know to fail, and are typically replaced under warranty.

Experience tells me to check out the simple things first. For example, check the emergency stop circuit and even bypass it to test. Check all fuses. Check that the engine is adequately grounded - that's the wire from the battery negative terminal to the starter housing. Check the shift lock circuit.

Did they check the oil for any filings. Had that happen to my 2007 225 at 276 hours. It turned out to be a maufacturing problem. Honda replaced the block under warranty.

Also, if they do have to tear down the engine, make sure they replace the exhaust tubes IAW Honda Service Bulletin #56. If you want a copy send an e-mail to me at [email protected]. It's too big to upload on this site."

Re: BF200 just quit

Ditto to the above...

Ask for the results of the compression test.

If it had bad compression, ask if they did a leak down test.

Ask them to explain it to you.

Also, see if they have involved Honda (techline or District Service Rep)

If you did not get the "true 5" when you bought it, it is probably out of warranty. If it just went out of warranty, ask for any consideration they can give you.

Back