Logo

Volvo 350 dp

bill_mccann

Hi Folks
I am having trouble

Hi Folks
I am having trouble with steering cylinders on our engine. We have replaced both originals and one of the replacemants that only lasted 10 hours. The replacements are a litle different as they have a boot over the exposed shaft. It appears that a small amount of corrosion on the shaft might be cutting the seals? Any ideas? I believe that everyone knows that these cylinders are out board and under water all the time.
Bill

The gaiters were a mod as lots of these rams were failing (you will of realised that unlike trim rams that can be left fully down thus protecting the ram pistons, there is no way to leave the steering in such a position to protect the steering ram pistons) Barnacles, limescale etc: cut the seals to pieces, hence the gaiters to keep pistons clean. Make sure the earth bonding wires are all in place as electrolosis can eat the rams.

Thanks Col

Were not sure what to do about it. The boat will b stored in the water for 7 weeks befrore we use it again. We have a person watching our boat so I will tell him to operate the steering a bit every week. I guess if we use it often it will not fail? I will tr to talk to Volvo and tell them that they have not solved the ptroblem.

Bill

Back