Logo

Starter jamming on flywheel

kmiddleton57

old 60hp mariner.. just had ne

old 60hp mariner.. just had new bushes put in starter and now the starter gear is jamming violently on flywheel... any ideas.. cheers

Not really. The Bendix shoots up, grabs the flywheel teethe and spins it. When the motor fires the Bendix is supposed to retract--yours isn't. Gotta be sticking on the shaft.

Jeff

had a look at the bendix at it seems lubed up.. just sent it back to auto ignition place to replace a spring that got broken last time it jammed.. such a simple thing that isn't coming together... how do i check to see if the teeth count on the starter is right against the teeth count on the flywheel... don't have a manual but looks like a 2nd hand starter.. somebody may of just grabbed any starter that did the job!!!???

I too have a similar problem. It appears to be the spring that doesn't have enough tension (?). I brought the starter to a rewind shop who said that the shaft may need lubricating. But being that the shop is over 30 miles each way, I left it there for them to change the spring anyway. Hopefully they'll call today to say that it's ready for pick-up.

Back