Logo

2003 225 hp BF225 wont stay running

get1on

"I have an 03 BF 225 with 200 hrs on it, I had let it sit for two months as I was tied up with work, when I made it down to start it, It wouldn't run at all. Short version, had a bad HP fuel pump. Replaced the HP fuel pump and While I was under the intake I replaced all the injectors, and the LP fuel pump as well. Motor has new plugs and fresh oil. It will now start and run and I can pick it up off idle, but after about 2 mins it sounds like it is starting to starve for fuel and cuts out. I am currently running off a test tank to eliminate any tank issues, I have even connected the tank directly to the LP fuel pump. any ideas??"

"Did you replace or clean the

"Did you replace or clean the screen under the high pressure fuel pump?

Did you change the high pressure fuel filter in the vapor separator?

Did you flush the fuel lines on the motor up to the injectors when you had all of it apart, so no "gas goo" gets sent to the injectors?

Did you make sure the vent hose on the vapor separator is clear of any debris, so it can breath?

These can all affect your the high pressure side of the fuel system."

"I replaced th HP fuel filter

"I replaced th HP fuel filter under the 3 screw cover, inspected the inlet screen under the HP pump and the VST tank vent is clear, I drained ad flushed all the fuel lines. What function does the fuel cut out switch perform, could this be the culprit?"

"Yes, the fuel cutoff valve co

"Yes, the fuel cutoff valve could be bad. As a test, you could bypass it temporily.

I would only do this for the test.

This will not prove that it is actually bad since it is controlled by the ecu under certain conditions...but it is a start.

It sounds like you are pretty knowledgeable and you may have the Honda manual. It does show how to test in the manual."

"You likely have already done

"You likely have already done this, but the first thing I would do is check all fuel lines for air leaks, or a pinch, starting with the line from your test tank. Use a clear plastic replacement hose between every fitting to check for air bubbles. Also, check the seating and sealing gaskets on your fuel-water seperator and low pressure fuel filter. From the two minute run time you described, it sounds like you are initially running on the fuel in your VST and it's not getting nough replenishment fuel to run smoothly."

Re: 03 BF225 wonbt stay running

Okay so gave up today and took it all apart again including the VSt that had the screws all seized up to expose float and needle, found the needle seized in a partially closed position. Explains running out of fuel condition. Does anyone know if the Seat is replaceable. I will try to go by the dealer on MOnday to get a replacement seat.

Sorry, the seat is part of the cover. You should also replace the float valve (needle).

The good news is...you found the trouble.

Okay so got the fuel system in good working order now it stays running but what a week. Now when I put it in the test tank and start it, the indicator stream is very weak and I the exhaust manifolds feel hot. I dropped the lower unit and checked the impeller looks brand new. Put it all back together and it isn't moving enough water. Hooked up the hose to the flush and the indicator stream blows good then so I know it isn't clogged. Any suggestions of where to start?

You could still have something between your thermostat and your water pump.

Did you backflush with the lower unit off? Have you pulled the thermostats to be sure nothing is lodged up there?

Before you go and do all that , my have to ask... How big is your test tank? Have you used it before and did you have good circulation? If not...

If the test tank is a 55 gallon drum, there may not be enough room to good water flow into the intake, you may be drawing in exhaust gases with the water. If so, your cooling system is being aeorated and will not be very effecient.

The other would be...is the lower unit thoroughly covered with water (at least midway between the cavitation plate and the exhaust relief)

If any of these are in question, then just take it to the water and back it in and test while on the trailer.

hello/

Do not forget that 55 gallons of water heats up pretty quickly when the exhaust gases are in the water.
I encourage you to take air pressure and push into the water pipe indicator , and if it did not help start the engine without the thermostat.

alex.

Back