Logo

Honda 150 best revs to run

pieter_jooste

I am a novice and do not know

I am a novice and do not know what max revs is the best. My 150 has a 15 degree pitch prop on and revs to 6300. If I change to a 17 degree pitch prop my max revs drops to 5600 The boat travels faster but has less power to pull a skier out of the water Please assist

"The "correct prop" fo

"The "correct prop" for any boat engine combination is that prop that allows the engine to run within the specified max rpm operating range specified for your engine for the load on the boat.. Prop "pitch" ( the pitch number refers to the number of inches that the prop would move forward in one revolution if it was rotating in a zero slip medium...not degrees) is like the gear ratio on a car. Low numbers give more pulling power, but less top speed. So you can consider your boat as having a single speed transmission. If you started and ran your car in 4th gear, it would accelerate very slowly but eventually get to top speed. Likewise, if you started in 1st it would accelerate, but the engine would rev a lot and you would not go all that fast.

That said... if you use your boat for skiing most of the time, then you need to pick a prop that allows you to pull a skier up out of the water,, but not over rev the engine. If you use it for cruising, then you might have to sacrifice pulling power to get good cruising speed.

So it all depends on how you use your boat. On my first boat, I used one prop most of the time I was cruising and fishing, but if I was going to take friends out water skiing, I'd change the prop to a lower pitch prop for the day."

Thank you for your note The co

Thank you for your note The content has been taken to heart
My answer to the question On the Honda 150 what is the safe max revs for the engine as I have been told never to go over 6300rpm and to fit a prop that keep the revs at a max of 5700rpm.
Is this advise I received correct ?

"Yes, that advice was correct

"Yes, that advice was correct - WOT should be 6000 RPM +/- 300. And Robert's note is correct.

You did not mention the diameter of your prop or whether it is a three-blade or four blade, or whether it is cupped or not. Most props are marked with two numbers - the diameter and the pitch. Diameter is the first number. If you want to get closer to the recommended 6000 RPM. Honda makes props that vary in diameter by 1/4 inch increments in both 3 blade and four blade. However, small changes in diameter do not greatly affect RPM. Generally, 4 blades will give you a better hole shot, but may drag down your WOT RPM's.

I have a chart which covers the variations by type/size engine for both 3 blade and 4 blade. It is too large to attach to this post. If you want a copy, e-mail me a [email protected].

The bottom line is that there is no exact science for getting the best prop for your needs. Just experiment. If you have a dealer near by, they will likely have a bunch of used props laying around the shop. Borrow some and try them out."

Thank's to you GUYS you a

Thank's to you GUYS you answered all my questions and I know now that this engine should be running at peak rpm 6300
Good day to all off you guys

Back