Logo

Engine start JT DD671 TI

sleeper1

"Cannot start, starter solenoi

"Cannot start, starter solenoid and relay new. Please advise,i donot have wiring diagram and have trced wires."

"Need a bit more info. You rep

"Need a bit more info. You replaced the solenoid that is on the starter but not the starter? Or, did you replace a remote solenoid that feeds the solenoid mounted on the starter?

Are there any noises when you hit the start switch/button?

When you say you have traced wires, do you mean that you have found all the circuit wiring and can't find a problem? Or, do you mean that you are just pretty much lost in the spaghetti?

I would also need to know:

What is the voltage of this system? 12 volt, 24 volt?

Can you can physically get to the starter to perform some tests?

Do you own and know how to use a digital multimeter?"

1 I replaced the remote soleno

1 I replaced the remote solenoid 2clicking noise 3have found all circuit wiring and no problem 412 volt 5yes ican get to the starter for tests 6i own and know how to use a digital multimeter Thank you

"OK, It sounds as if you are k

"OK, It sounds as if you are knowledgeable enough to make this quick and dirty. The other part is you have to be brave.

I'm going to have you use a "shorting" bar across the terminals of your starter solenoid to see if the starter will crank the engine. If it will, then finding your problem should be easy. If it doesn't then we've found your problem. The beauty of knowing how to do this will enable you to move the boat if it is stuck in a bad place. Since diesels (71's anyway) don't need electricity to run, you can fire it up and drive it as long as the starter is working. Good trick for any boater to know.

First, it is essential that the batteries are all up to snuff. Are they fully charged and in good condition? Use the multimeter and ensure that each individual cranking battery is AT LEAST 12.3 volts. Ideally they should be at 12.5 or 12.6. A battery that reads 12.0 volts is around 25% to 35% discharged.

I need to run now and will get back to you asap. In the meantime, find yourself a piece of metal about 4 inches long and a pair of gloves. An old wrench or short screwdriver will do but you might ruin it so nothing you care about.

If you are in the USA, send me your number if you want me to call you. You can email it to me at

[email protected]

if you want to keep it off the net.

Gotta go."

"Cannot start, starter solenoid and relay new. Please advise,i donot have wiring diagram and have trced wires."
Sleeper: Had a similar problem with a dual engine set up. There exists a solenoid that combines the two main batteries when starter button is pressed. If you have this condition clean the contacts at both terminal ends (starter and combiner/solenoid).
Good Luck

Back