Logo

Prop SelectionTach NS40C

stevebo

"Hope you guys can help. I wou

"Hope you guys can help. I would like to re:prop and currently I'am running a 10.3 x 13p aluminum. A little slow out of the hole and seems to reach a high rpm but not sure, so before I buy a stainless I would like to install a tach and then go from there. Any ideas on the tach and wiring? Is there something I could use temporary? What's the operating range? I'm running this motor on a 14' Smokercraft Big Fish and I wouldn't think it should be slow out of the hole because most articals I read the people seem to use this motor on bigger/heavier boats and larger pitches. Also doesn't seem to run the smoothest at idle but once it bearly comes off idle its one of the smoothest I've heard. Would the reeds have something to do with this?"

"The correct tach is available

"The correct tach is available from any Nissan, Tohatsu dealer or at http://www.internetoutboards.com/partdetail.asp?id=573.
Using anything other than the factory tach is problematic due to the type of pulse produced by the engine.

The answers to your other questions can be found in your service manual.

"Also doesn't seem to run the smoothest at idle but once it bearly comes off idle its one of the smoothest I've heard. Would the reeds have something to do with this?"

"Smoothest" is a relative term and cannot be answered except by comparison to something else. As to the reeds, yes, reeds can effect idle, but so can virtually anything else."

Sorry for a late reply but thanks for your info.

One more question. Can you get a power trim and tilt unit for the NS40C motor? Doesn't look like they list one.

Nope....Well you can, but not OEM. Any of the little aftermarket units will work. They may sell them here on marineengine.com

Back