Logo

NS35A runs only when choked

rteda

"I picked up a very clean-look

"I picked up a very clean-looking Nissan kicker that starts and runs fine, provided the choke is left nearly all the way on. Being somewhat familiar with 2-stroke and many small 4-stroke engines, I had to assume the carb needed a teardown and cleaning.

I did that, though perhaps I missed something. The same problem exists as before: I can make the engine run fine at idle to medium speed though I have to "tune" with the choke for proper mixture, to prevent leaning out or going too rich. The higher the throttle, the less choke it needs in order to run correctly. My British Seagull has the same style of carburetor piston and needle structure and is adjusted for lean/rich in the same way, but with the Nissan the mixture problem is at an extreme. We're talking almost Full Choke to maintain a running engine.

Part of me wants to think "reed valve" while the other wants to think throttle needle valve passage.

Any help that prevents me from doing something stupid would be appreciated.

Thanks."

Dirty carb...You have to take

Dirty carb...You have to take it apart and soak it in carb cleaner for three hours. Do not use a spray cleaner as that is a waste of time.

"Hi, thanks TG

Actually, I

"Hi, thanks TG

Actually, I answered my own question, "stupidity" is the answer.

I mixed up some virgin gasoline 50:1 and it runs fine. Now that it runs and I've messed with it, what sort of gap should I have from the carb bowl seat (where the bowl gasket is) to the top of the float? That may be an academic question but as long as I'm dirty and all that :)

Thank you for your service to us all on this forum.

=ted"

Back