Logo

Late 60bs merc strange questions

pikefisherman

I purchased a used outboard al

I purchased a used outboard almost 2 yrs. ago. I was supposed to recieve a 50 horse early 80's model. Not what happened. It's been nothing but problems and I traded in my old o/b and a hansome sum of cash for something more reliable. I purchased it from a shop and they refused to honor the warranty. I have burned that bridge.

The repairs are up to me. however I can't vouch for anything on this motor and I'm concerned it was built out of leftover parts.

The serial # is 2169576 I found it's a 67' 65hp. The carb # kc2a and kc4a support that. I'm a little worried that the powerhead may not be a 65. I'm working through the carbs and trying to be optimistic.

Can anyone put my mind at ease? Can powerheads be swapped?

Do I have the correct year and size?

And can anyone vouch for a main jet size of .067 on the top carb and .069 on the bottom? I run at high elevations.

Thanx guys

"The 65 hp power head is uniqu

"The 65 hp power head is unique in its bolt pattern and driveshaft, so if it's a 65, it's a 65. That said, it MIGHT be a 50 hp.

Here's how to tell:

The 65 has the words 'Panther" on the block on the right side, where the 50 has 'Super Thunderbolt' or just 'Thunderbolt'.

Jeff"

"I have a 50 then, on the #3 c

"I have a 50 then, on the #3 cylinder jacket it reads "full jeweled super thunderbolt". With the serial # and carb #'s pointing at a 65hp. Does this sound like a pieced together engine then?

I'm guessing carbs in this age group are interchangable since the have the same gasket set. The difference I'd imagine would be the main jets. The chart I have available suggests .061. The current jets are .069 and .067. Nowhere that I've researched suggests using different sized jets from carb to carb.

This motor hasn't been in use because it will not transition to open throttle (bogs down and dies) I know I've got float issues- the spew fuel out the throat. So while I'm freshening them up should I re-jet them? or just try running it once? Seems like a big difference in jet size."

Back