Logo

Bottom Paint Removal

wblazer

Regular Contributor
"Hi Guys,

I have a question after reading some of the suggestions given to Graham on bottom painting. I have a 21 ft. Four Winns that I bought with the bottom painted. The boat was used and moored in salt water. I only moor and use in fresh river water. The bottom paint is starting to wash away. I like the idea of waxing the bottom and not bottom painting. What do I do about the paint on the bottom now? Can and how do I remove it or do I just let it wash away? Thank for any help given."

"If it is ablative paint, it w

"If it is ablative paint, it will "wash away" given enough use. More use = faster removal.

You can use paint remover but it is a labor intensive process and expensive if attempted in an environmentally sensitive area.

If it spends a lot of time floating, and it is an older model, you may want to consider a barrier coating."

"Makomark,
Thanks for the inf

"Makomark,
Thanks for the information.I will let it wash away. What is barrier coating?"

"Barrier coatings, also known

"Barrier coatings, also known as osmosis barriers, prevent the water intrusion, thru the gelcoat, that causes blisters. Typically, they are epoxy based but I haven't kept up on their science in a while. Normal application is to strip off any finish to the bare gelcoat, prep that surface and apply 3-5 coats according to the schedule in the directions. If the weather cooperates, it can be done in a weekend.

The need is usually for the older hulls made with polyester based resins. the newer (& more expensive) vinylester resin hulls don't need it."

Mine is an 86 and has been &#3

Mine is an 86 and has been 'treated'. The group making my hull switched resins in 88 so you may wanna check a four winns board or check with the factory service department...some dealers may know but I'd bet on the factory having the most accuracy due to the age. (no mention in the online owner's manual that I found.)

Thanks for all your help. I wi

Thanks for all your help. I will do as you suggest and check with a factory source.

Back