Logo

1998 200 hp Merc oil pump warning

sbklf

Contributing Member
I have a pulsing beep indicating a problem with the oiling system. What is most likely the problem? How many sensors are on the oiling system?

"There are two sensors on the

"There are two sensors on the oil system.

The first is a float style sensor in the on-board oil tank (resevoir) - this one is prone to failure and most often the culprit.

Depending on the exact model, sometimes the only way to repair this sensor is to replace the entire tank.

It can be checked with an ohm meter - basically, if there is oil in the tank there should be NO continuity between the two sensor leads - if you have continuity (near zero resistance), the sensor is toast.

A second sensor is located with the oil pump. This is a motion sensor that detects whether the pump is running or not.

I have never personally seen or heard of an issue with this sensor (or a broken oil pump which caused the sensor to do it's job), but I generally work on motors somewhat below this horsepower class so can't say how likely/unlikely that issue could be with this particular model..."

"That system,like was stated h

"That system,like was stated has 2 sensors,The reservoir on the engine and at the oil pump.The warning system is also connected to one of the switch boxes and this tells the system is running.If the switch box fails in this cylinder,the warning horn will also sound.If this is the first time this engine has run after winter lay up or after an extended period of time,there was a problem with the oil being thick and causing an added load on the bushing under the oil pump,this added load will cause the plastic gear on the crankshaft to tear up and no longer work.if this is the case,you can check this by removing the oil pump and removing the oil pump drive gear.if this is the problem.there will be small fragments of plastic on the drive gear and you can see the crankshaft gear with a flash light.If it is damaged,and you have it repaired,be sure to have the plastic bushing replaced also as they now make them .002 smaller so as not to have this problem.By the way,the wire connected to the switch box is a green wire.It is usually connected to the outer switch box."

"OK, I verified the pump is pu

"OK, I verified the pump is pumping and the float sensor is working OK. It appears to be the oil sensing system module that is bad. That would make more sense since it sounded and stopped several times then went to sounding continuously."

Back