Logo

Prop and speed

zoo_will

I Have a 1991 200 merc on a 19

I Have a 1991 200 merc on a 1984 chris craft deep v haul runs at 5600 rpm wot but top speed it about 35 mph seems a bit slow for this size motor I believe it has a 19 pitch prop s/s. My question is what would it do for top speed if I changed to a 24 pitch prop.

"If you have a carb model you

"If you have a carb model you are rev'ing a little high (should be 5500 max), if it's an XRI (fuel injected) model you are bang on where it should be.

"seems a bit slow for this size motor"

That's a perception. Your tach is telling me that your motor is working to it's maximum potential and if you fiddle with the prop you will only accomplish two things:

first, you will run SLOWER and second, if you move up to a 24 pitch you risk causing internal damage to your engine.

An increase of 5" of pitch will normally lower your top rpms by about 1000. By not allowing the motor to get into it's wide open throttle (range) when you are running full throttle you risk causing "detonation" which can destroy rings, blow a hole in your piston(s) or ultimately put a hole in your block.

Yes, horsepower affects speed, but the engine size is just one factor in the equasion.

Earlier fiberglass Chris Crafts will last just about forever. The reason is because they were extremely overbuilt.

Chris Craft (pioneered) alot of the fiberglass work you see in modern boats and since they had little experience in terms of (previously proven designs etc), they really erred on the side of caution. When they had laid up enough glass to meet their engineering, they added an extra layer or two "just incase".

So they ended up with a very solid boat but on the down side it carries significant (extra) weight compared to a model you would buy today.

So, unless your hull needs some maintenance and has soaked up an extra 500 pounds of water or so, your current top speed is pretty much as good as you can get with your current motor.

Alternately, if you are carrying 500 or so pounds of extra gear/junk etc that you can remove, then you can squeeze a few more mph out of your rig.

But based on your rpm and current prop, that is saying that there is nothing you can do to this rig to make it go faster and anything you try to change or add would be a waste of money..."

Back