Logo

1995 mariner 115 hp

mdsnook

"I have a 1995 Mariner 115 it is dropping cylinders when it goes above 2000 rpms I have changed the power pack,stater,and fuel pump any ideas."

"Yep - have the stator tested

"Yep - have the stator tested at a shop (needs a DVA tester, not something most guys have laying around in the garage - normal multi-meter won't work).

The 115's have what's sometimes referred to as a 2+2 ignition which only fires 2 cylinders at idle but all 4 as the rpms increase.

The low speed stator bobbins are used to fire 2 cylinders at idle (upto about 1800 rpms or so) and then the high speed bobbins kick in to fire all 4.

If it's dropping 2 cylinders above 1800 rpms then it is most likely the high speed stator windings that are shot (but the entire stator is one unit and must be replaced).

If it's more of a "phantom" thing with one or two cylinders firing "when they feel like it", then it is more likely a trigger problem (which is very difficult to troubleshoot with a DVA because it will always work when you are checking it).....

The stator test, however, will either confirm or quickly rule it out as an issue...."

"Thanks for the info we replac

"Thanks for the info we replaced the red stator adaptor, it was getting hot and that seemed to do it"

Keep an eye on that (the a

Keep an eye on that (the adapter).

It is required when the original black stator is replaced/retrofit with the red stator and is used to convert the power down to what the ignition is looking for.

In your case the adapter may have simply gone bad OR the stator may be going bad and it cooked the adapter and nothing sucks worse than having to replace a part for the second time because it was something "further upstream" that caused it to fail....

I believe the spark is constan

I believe the spark is constant to all four cylinders at all speeds and the 2+2 effect is obtained solely through carburetion.

Back