Logo

2001 25HP Mercury

dadakota

"Had the carb rebuilt on this

"Had the carb rebuilt on this motor. The engine still bogs down when advancing the throttle. Once it catches itself you can open the throttle up and the engine runs fine wide open. What is worse, when idling for a long distance the engine gets too much fuel and quits. Then it won't start. Another thing I noticed a couple times is the bulb on the fuel line gets rock hard. Fuel line and tank replaced last year. ELectrical all checks out perfect so it does not appear to be lack of fire. Any suggestions?"

Yikes! That's too drastic

Yikes! That's too drastic. Try opening the idle adjustment screw a 1/4 of a turn at a time. And be sure the motor is fully warmed up or it will trick you.

Jeff

Sounds like maybe the float wa

Sounds like maybe the float was set incorrectly during the rebuild or got knocked before reassembly - at least I would pull the carb and take a second look - a jolt could have just bent the hinge enough to cause some minor flooding issues....

".."What is worse, when id

".."What is worse, when idling for a long distance the engine gets too much fuel and quits."

Granted, I missed that, but it takes an expert to determine flooding from lean out without pulling plugs. Agreed?

I still vote for lean.

Jeff"

Here is the apparent solution.

Here is the apparent solution. The ball in the ball/seat/choke plunger assembly is not staying seated. As such fuel is just dumping. Cleaned it all out and stretched the spring a little bit to keep the ball seated. So far it has cured the flooding problem.

"Well Wags....Thank you very m

"Well Wags....Thank you very much. I went in and checked mine and found the same problem. One other thing was that the plastic needle that pushes the steel ball out was about 1/64 too long! Therefore holding the ball off the seat just a tad. Trimmed the needle, and it works like new again."

Back