Logo

Not possible to have shift cables on a Merc 25XE outboard

smccarthy

"I just purchased a mid-1980s

"I just purchased a mid-1980s Mercury outboard that's in excellent condition. But it has one problem that i didn't realize when I bought it. A mechanic told me that it's not possible to hook a remote shift/accelerator up to this unit.

Call me silly, but i though you could attach shift controls to most engines these days. but he said since this has a tiller handle with a forward, backward accelerator (meaning the tiller handle twists, and goes either forward/back to center or reverse/back to center) that he can't attach cables.

That's a bummer, considering my little boat has a steering wheel up front.

The unit is a mercury 25XE with electric start. Probably a 1985 or 1986.

Anyone know of a work-around or an adapter kit?"

"I cant answer about adapter k

"I cant answer about adapter kits,but i have an American [gears on tiller handle]18hp 1984 merc and a 1986 20hp Mariner,basically same motor,but with gear lever by itself.on close look,the difference with the gears is just a case of bolting on the appropiate tiller unit and mechanism for the gear change.so you have the bare engine and just bolt on whatever system you want.so it might be possible to attach remotes."

"First off, stay far far away

"First off, stay far far away from that idiot calling himself a mechanic (who may not have been born when the motor was built).

Merc part 42805A6 (current part number which supreceded the last dozen or so conversion kits for this model) contains everything you need, including instructions, to convert tiller throttle/shift to control (for about 130 bucks at a Merc dealer).

It is a bit of work as you remove/replace most of the current assembly, but nothing that can't be done in an afternoon with a minimal tool collection.."

"Hope your not talking about m

"Hope your not talking about me.Only trying to help.Have spent the last 44[as a qualified mechanic] years repairing just about everything under the sun,[plus outboards last 5 yrs],so i do know a fair bit.I always leave the technical stuff to you guys,but try to help in the basic stuff.Bit rude to name call,thought this was a professional forum."

"Thanks Ian. I don't think

"Thanks Ian. I don't think he was talking about you. I think he was talking about the mechanic who gave the original advice.

By the way, the motor I have is a 25HP mer outboard -- called a 25XE. And i can't find any info at all about the 25XE, and what year it is."

"No Ian, not you - the "me

"No Ian, not you - the "mechanic" who told him that there was no such thing as a remote kit for that model.

Post up your serial if you can find it - I believe you simply have an "XD" model with an electric start option which were marketed in the 1984 and 85 model years.

Before and after those years they were simply the "25"...."

"That's a 1985 model that

"That's a 1985 model that has the "new" style serial number (alpha numeric production number that they introduced for 1986 models - most 1985 model serials were all numbers).

That can make it difficult to find "on-line" listings for the year and parts. A number of motors built in the latter half of 85 have that issue (an 86 serial that doesn't show up for either the 85 or 86 model years).

However, the parts stayed pretty much the same up until the end of the 1994 model year and then only changed a couple things until that particular model discontinued in 2005.

So lot's out there to fit your motor and still excellent support from Merc."

Back