Logo

AQ15A TO A DIESEL ENGINECAN IT BE

pico_azores

"Hello,
I´m Roger from Azores

"Hello,
I´m Roger from Azores,Portugal,and I have a Volvo penta AQ125A,and I want to know if with the same stern drive,I can change for some diesel engine.

Roger"

"The outboard drive is a AQ270

"The outboard drive is a AQ270B,C,D, i have the manual, but i don´t understand anything of this matter.
I need help,please.

Thank you"

I'm in New Zealand. Here they often put in diesel engines in front of the 270, 280 legs. I've seen Nissan LD28 used a lot, but also TD42 and Isuzu engines.

I cannot help with the details for installing, though I'd suspect you'd need custom exhaust and drive coupling at least. Also you'd want to go with a closed (with heat exchanger) cooling system.

Hooking a diesel to a 270 drive is not what I would recommend.
Apart from that your gear ratio is totally wrong, you will need to change from 2,15 to 1,61 preferably, there are other issues.
Helm steering bolt.
The small steering bolt used on the 270 may break.
prop selections. You will need to run long hub props to avoid burning loose the hub. (Too much torque). Then the exhaust outlet may be in conflict if you want to increase blade area. Problems like flywheel housings, exhaust etc is another problem.

Hi Roger. What a stunning place you live in!
Anyway, if you contact http://www.lancingmarine.com/ they can supply maranising parts and advice to fit something like a Ford Transit DI engine to your drive. Mike Bellamy there has years of experience doing these convertions. Duncan at Mid Atlantic yacht services in Horta may be able to help with shipping.

Back