Logo

1996 200hp Merc EFI

blair_brad

"Hello,
I am still searching

"Hello,
I am still searching for a new Merc. Someone in my area is selling a 1996 200hp Merc EFI with approx. 100hrs. How does this motor compare to my older '89 100hp oil injected motor?
Brad"

"How are you trying to compare

"How are you trying to compare them? aside from the Merc sticker on the side they are very different motors.

The 200 EFI is a quality motor but a little light on cubic inches for my taste (2.5L 153 cubic inches).

It is an ECM controlled, sensor driven ignition system so at the very least I would make a condition of sale a satisfactory "tech check".

Any dealer can plug it in and make sure that all those "very expensive to replace" components are working properly.

I would definately have it checked out. You are looking at a 14 year old motor with 100 hours of run time which raises a red flag for me.

That works out to an average of 7 hours use per year. More likely it was used a bit the first couple of years and then has sat, unattended, not run and not maintained for most of it's life.

It is engines like that, that usually self destruct once you try using them again regularly unless they are first meticulously refurb'd and prepped.

Far more engines die from "lack of use" than "overuse".

You can be guranteed that the previous owner(s), who obviously rarely used the motor never spent any money on the annual maintenance that should have been done - people don't throw money at something they never use.

Unless you can do the mechanical/maint work yourself I estimate that it could cost 500-1000 bucks to get this motor prepped for regular service again (unless the current seller has receipts less than 2 years old to show what work has been done).

I am not saying stay away from it, but definately factor that in when you are trying to determine a "fair price".

If the motor is being sold "as is" I would peg the value at somewhere between 1500-2000 bucks if a DDT read-out finds no major faults..."

Back