Logo

Mariner 4hp 2 stroke

davexx

"Hi folks,
I have just purcha

"Hi folks,
I have just purchased a Mariner 4hp 2 stroke outboard motor, and I'm desperate to find out the year, as I want to acquire a manual. Can anybody help please ?
The serial number is: GEO. S 011769 or the first three digits might be 6EO. I would really appreciate any info on this, as I want to service it, ect. Many thanks.
Davexx."

"Yes, I get a 1981 model based

"Yes, I get a 1981 model based on Yamaha's own model 4AC built in 1980.

Some parts may be getting a little scarce for these but a Merc dealer (Yamaha built them for Merc) will still be your best bet for new parts.

If you get a Seloc's manual make sure it's for 1 and 2 cylinder "Mariners" (1977-89) - at least that's the manual I use for these...."

"Hi Folks,
Thanks for all you

"Hi Folks,
Thanks for all your help, most appreciated. One other question I would like to ask is: Can I flush the cooling system with a flushing plug adaptor ? If so, does anyone know where I can purchase one of these adaptors. Thanks again.
Davexx."

"You can use a standard set of

"You can use a standard set of (muffs or ears) for this model that connect to a garden hose.

This model is not equipped with a separate flush connection which is now common place on many models.

However, given the size of the motor a pail or a plastic garbage can full of water works better than any hose flushing devices.

A hose limits the amount of water the pump can (suck), a pail of water does not restrict the cooling system, ultimately doing a better job...

If you do go with a flushing device, NEVER run the motor at anything above idle speed - a hose just can't supply enough water and you can damage the waterpump and overheat the motor if you do...."

"Thanks for your expert advice

"Thanks for your expert advice, and information on this post Graham, its helped me no end. I have decided to go with a suitable water container for flushing. Many thanks again.
Dave."

Back