Logo

Honda 2001 50 hp BF50A Lower Gear Case Shift Rod Question

triplej

I managed to trash the lower unit on my 2001 BF50A. Hit something that broke off the one side of the ventilation plate and bent the prop shaft. I have a new lower unit to install but the new one is different where the shft rod enters the top of the case. The old unit had a white plastic fitting that the boot attached to. The new lower unit has what looks like a seal but no place to attach the bottom of the rubber boot. Do I need a different boot or is the seal adequate to keep water out ? Many thanks for the help.

"From looking at the parts bre

"From looking at the parts breakdown, you probably have the most recent gearcase. If it is a long shaft (41100-ZW4-H16ZA), it is the most current replacement for the 50 HP carburated engines.

It does not have the boot anymore. The 40 and 50HP were the only Honda gearcases that had the boot. I found it to be trouble anyway. The seal will be perfectly fine."

Thanks Mike. I really appreci

Thanks Mike. I really appreciate the help. That's kinda what I thought but I'd hate to trash another case for lack of little seal.

Back