Logo

Twin 1996 25030 EFI Marinerbs Shift Rod Port Eng

wintys

"Hi all it’s spring time here

"Hi all it’s spring time here in FL. And I have a good one.
The plastic or fiber bushing that the vertical shift shaft or rod comes down through the bottom of the engine housing is swollen around the shaft and is so tight I can’t hardly get the motor in and out of gear; it looks like the only way to change this bushing out is to pull the power head and pull the rod out from the top, and I sure don’t want to have do that. I have dropped the lower unit (foot) and tapped the shaft up a ½” or so and tried cleaning and greasing but it’s still to stiff.
Anyone have any ideas?? WT"

"Thanks Bandit, I’m pretty sur

"Thanks Bandit, I’m pretty sure it’s the bushing in the exhaust plate.
I dropped the foot, took the shift link off of the upper shaft and made sure their was nothing else connected and still have to put a small pair of vise grips on it where it comes out of the mid-section to move it.
I can drive the shaft up about a ½ “ to ¾” , I was thinking about driving it up as far a I could and sand down the shaft but it’s so close I can’t get a piece of emery to it.
Next thought is to make a collar bushing that will slide over the shaft from the bottom and try to drive the bushing out, but don’t that I could do anything with it once I had it driven up or out.
Seems to be a pain in the rear, any good ideas would really be appreciated.

Thank again Bandit for the response
I like this outboard form stuff, I have learned a lot, and love working on outboards, even have a few friends I’m helping out with there motors problems."

Back