Logo

YSE8 Will not fire up

jaredandrew206

"YSE8 inboard diesel will not

"YSE8 inboard diesel will not fire up. It's cranking, but it won't start. The batteries were dead. I replaced the battery. I have power. Everything's turning. I disconnected the fuel line into the motor, and no fuel is pumping in. Could it be the fuel pump? Why else would fuel not be getting in?"

Re: "YSE8 inboard diesel will not fire up"

"YSE8 inboard diesel will not fire up. It's cranking, but it won't start. The batteries were dead. I replaced the battery. I have power. Everything's turning. I disconnected the fuel line into the motor, and no fuel is pumping in. Could it be the fuel pump? Why else would fuel not be getting in?"

If there is no fuel pumping in check from the fuel injector back to the fuel pump undoing nuts and cranking the motor to see if fuel comes out. Check on the intake side of the fuel pump, does it get that far? Check from the gravity feed of the tank (if it is original).

It is good to use the crank handle as this will save your start battery. Turn off the ignition first unless you want a broken wrist.

There are 3 things that will stop a diesel (without glow plugs).
Lack of fuel/bad fuel. Maybe too much fuel in some cases (I guess)
Not enough compression. a diesel engine starter can help with this, it helps improve compression as it causes a seal around the piston ring and (I think) improves the flamability of the fuel.
Not enough (or too much) air/bad quality air (less likely)
Hope this helps.
Regards

NoDramas

This info is based on your motor having the standard yanmar overhead tank. 1. check fuel quaulity & level. 2. Check filter mesh & tap for correct operation.[ remove tap to expose in tank filter.] If 1&2 check out ok then undo hp fuel pump feed line at pump fuel should flow freely.

If your fuel supply circuit is not as obove please post a description of same, listing any inline filters, types and heads involved etc.

Back