Logo

Battery replacement

jaredandrew206

"I have dual batteries on my s

"I have dual batteries on my sailboat. When I bought the boat, (two weeks ago), both batteries had died. One was a group 24 deep cycle marine battery, and the other was a marine starting battery. Can I just replace both with deep cycle marine batteries, or does one have to be a marine "starting" battery?"

"It's dependent on how muc

"It's dependent on how much cranking power you need for your engine. I have the same set up - cranking and deep cycle on a 25 ft C Hawk and I run a lot of stuff off the deep cycle. The deep cycle battery is designed to handle a lot of ongoing amps and recharge efficiently. The cranking/starting battery is designed to give max amps for a short duration for starting. What works for me is a three-way battery switch that allows me to crank on either battery or both batteries, then I switch to both batteries when running in order to keep them always charged up. I use the cranking battery because my Honda 225 demands a lot of cranking amps - over 1,000. If your engine doesn't require a high level of cranking amps, say less than 750, then you can probably get away with having both batteries as deep cycle."

I had a Catalina 27 and a Hunt

I had a Catalina 27 and a Hunter 36. Ion the 36 I used a 4D Diesel truck battery for a house battery. It worked grest. I could anchor for days running lights and fans with out having to recharge it. It is very heavy so it may not work as good on the 27'. I got mine from Ssam;s Club. I just looked this up and found this post.

Checked out a local Sam's Club recently for Golf Cart Batteries. They carry "Powerfast" by Interstate Batteries and have 210 ah. Price on these are only $74.

"Hey Jared, since you have a s

"Hey Jared, since you have a sailboat, I think most electronic mechanics would recommend you having (2) deep cycle, since most of your power is drawn long-term. Recommend not less than 27 or bestter yet 31. Having two of those will give you enough starting power individually and better reserve power for start and for accessories.

Myself; I have twin engines. One high amp starting battery and all others being deepcell 31's for other start batt and two aux batts. Also I am packing two tied in series for a 24V trolling system on my trim tabs. So you see, 6 batts can add up to quite a bit of money but it also give me alot of reserve and security."

Back