Logo

Problem with honda BF 2 D

jonbhoy

"Hi,,took my new seago inflata

"Hi,,took my new seago inflatable and 2hp honda to loch ken 2day.. couldnt start the engine,,tried everything to get it going,, it starts,idles for a few seconds then cuts out,, i just put a new fuel lever on but it was a fairly straight forward job.so i dont think this has anything to do with it?? can any1 help PLEEZE?"

"Will it continue to run with

"Will it continue to run with the choke out? If so, the carburator needs cleaning.

Check your fuel for water.

Of course the fuel valve is suspect. Just to check if the fuel flow is good, open your drain screw and see if you have a good continuous flow into a glass when you have the fuel turned on. Do not run the engine while you are doing this. If it only trickels out, then it could be the cutoff valve.

Please do not feel insulted, but make sure that the vent on the fuel cap is open. If closed, the motor will start right up and run for 15 - 30 seconds then die. It will not restart right away. I have done it on mine several times (and I work on these things for a living).

Good luck!"

"i cleaned spark plug,changed

"i cleaned spark plug,changed fuel,and put new oil in,,it only runs for 3 - 4 secs whether choke is in or out,i disconnected the fuel hose today and opened the fuel vent,,fuel was pushing through, if u turn the throttle when it starts it just cuts out,,seems like its flooding. dont really know what else to try."

"If it is starting to run a li

"If it is starting to run a little, compression is probably ok.

Make sure that the oil is not over full. Make sure the motor is vertical when you check and that it is between the bottom of the site glass nad the white marks. Too much oil is not good.

If that is ok, you will probably need to remove the carburator, disassemble and clean it. The main jet is probably clogged. If the main jet is clogged, the other passages probably are too or not far behind."

"ok m8 thanx for the info,,is

"ok m8 thanx for the info,,is cleaning the carb straight forward to do,,and what do i use to clean it??i stay 2mins from a marina,,so would i maybe better to take it to the guys that know what they are doing??"

The carb is not hard to do if

The carb is not hard to do if you are into that stuff.

You may want to call them and ask what the cost would be to clean the carb. A complete new carb retails for around $112.

You do the math.

The guys at the marina can probably do it in their sleep. They can also check compression etc to be sure that it is just the carburator.

"Just thought of one more thin

"Just thought of one more thing. If you took your carburator off to fix the cut off valve, make sure that you put the gaskets in front and in back of the carburator on correctly. If you have them reversed, upside down or maybe even on partially, then in the carb will not be vented properly and it will run as you described.

377323.jpg

377324.jpg
"

"i took it to the local marine

"i took it to the local marine shop,problem was dirty carb,but he said it has a film round it as if sum 1 has put 2stroke oil in it,(must have been previous owner),he says the carb needs soaked in the cleaning solution,,and i may need new jets,,would i be best just getting another carb.?? he has got it running constant,and says it will need attention in the near future."

Back