Logo

Rough idling merc 2008 50 hp elpto

fishinkc

"I recently bought a boat with a Mercury 50 elpto brand new. The motor is a 2008. I have been doing the normal break in stuff like altering rpms, increasing rpms and durations per hour, all of that stuff. Mercury recommends mixing the first tank of fuel at 50:1 along with the normal self mixing of the motor, therefore the motor is running at a 25:1 oil/gas mixture. I have about 3 hours on the motor now and it does not seem to want to idle very well at low rpms. My question is, is this because of the rich fuel mixture or does the motor need some work. I was thinking of going ahead and running the mixed tank of gas out and then running it to see if that helps, but I dont want to do more damage if there is a problem. Any suggestions?"

"Due to the extra oil the plug

"Due to the extra oil the plugs will faul out, causing the the rough idle. After your break in period and normal gas oil mixture your problem will be gone. In the mean time if you want to change your spark plugs it will help, but only for a short time frame"

I had to replace the fuel pump gaskets (Fuel Pump Kit) in mine only after like 1 year and I have same motor! Was idling bad at low rpm or idle. Since then , Runs like a champ!!!

Back