Logo

1991 200 2.5L mariner starting problem model 7200412yd

It has a choke on it at the key switch that you hold down for about ten seconds before trying to start engine with fast idle. The motor will not start or even hit a lick untill i spray a little starting fluid in carbs. It will run fine after that. It will even start a couple of hours later after it has set. But it will not it a lick the next day. It never offers to fire up. It has new plugs in it. I figure it has to be something with the fuel. I have cleaned the inline filter on the fuel line before the carburator. I have the boat sold and wanted to fix this problem before the buyer picks up the boat. I dont like using the starting fluid but it is the only way I can get it to start.

have you checked to see if the

have you checked to see if the choke is opening up when you push in on the key? And I am pretty sure you are suppose to crank the engine with the key switch held down. If not there isn't any fuel being pumped into the carbs.

"I here it (choke) cli

"I here it (choke) click as the key is pushed in, But i dont see anything happen on the air intake side of the carberator. I guess i should ask you what i should be looking for the choke to be operating properly . I have actually seen gas go in the carbs as the excellerator is pressed a time or two. But i only see gas from the needles on the middle and bottom openings of the carberator , nothing comes out of the top two openings of the carberator. The six openings in the carberator remain closed untill i press the excellerator on the side of the engine at which time they open and the needles throw some gas out into the carb. Should all of them be opening in choke position and if so should gas come out of the all the needles at that time. Sorry, not a lot of experience with outboard engines. Hope this is enough info for you to understand what is happening."

"Jeremy , i am not sure what i

"Jeremy , i am not sure what is clicking as to when the choke is pressed because i am not standing beside the engine to be able to tell. i am at the switch at that point."

how long has the boat been sit

how long has the boat been sitting since last use? if long time you might want to clean the carbs

The engine has set for the las

The engine has set for the last 4 months. I had to take it to a mechanic today becuase a o-ring was leaking on the trim resivoir. They are going to look to see if the choke is working properly. I will let you know what they say is the problem. I had to do something quick since the guy is going to pick up the boat on sat.

Back