Logo

Throttle hard to twist 1978 20 hp 200

"I have a 1978 20hp, model 200 Mercury outboard, the throttle is hard to twist, when I begin to accelerate it will slowly speed up and I have to twist hard and suddenly the handle twists all the way and it goes to wide open, what can I do to make it operate smoothly?
Many thanks,
Frank"

"Hi,youll have to take the eng

"Hi,youll have to take the engine cover off,and look closely at what happens when you twist the throttle.then start by disconnecting the linkages until you find out what is stiff.try spray bottle of diesel on the bits that look like shafts and gears[on the knuckle].if you can remove the rubber grip,all the better,saves it getting slippery with oil.if it does,wash it in soap and water,very good for rubber."

"Hi,just remembered,quite a fe

"Hi,just remembered,quite a few outboards have a system whereby if its in nuetral,you cant get more than about 1/8 throttle.saves damaging the motor.with motor stopped,you can put it in gear,thereby allowing full throttle opening.also some outboards wont let you pullstart once its in gear.quite sensible,that one"

"Thanks Ian,
I sprayed it dow

"Thanks Ian,
I sprayed it down good with some WD-40 and it is much better now, this paricular engine does not have the rev limiter, it will go wide open sitting still and in neutral.
Frank"

"If WD-40 helped, that indicat

"If WD-40 helped, that indicates its a lubrication issue, and WD-40 is a great cleaner and "water displacer" (WD), but not a good lube long term. A better lube will make your 'repair' last longer. Don't know what folks here would recommend for such a marine application (I'm a noob compared to most of these guys) but white lithium grease, ATF (trans fluid) or Breakfree CLP (for guns) is good for general lite lube."

"Thats why i suggested diesel[

"Thats why i suggested diesel[cheaper].but to lubricate now the throttle is freed up,i would suggest either a spray on grease[motorcycle chains use it] or chainbar oil for chainsaws is a good longgrain oil that could be applied with oilcan.very sticky and wouldnt disapear like normal oils.just dont use too much of any thing as you dont want it dribbling all over the place while boating"

Back