Logo

Tamd41 p with salt water in head

neilrob

"I have Volvo Tamd41 p with sa

"I have Volvo Tamd41 p with salt water in the head that seems to have entered back through the turbo from the exhaust side. The motor is seized, I have removed the head. There is quite lot of damage to the turbo (seized and corroded), the head has had water sitting in it, the pistons have had water on them and the rings are corroded, the water in the sump was clear (tasted salty) and separate from the nice looking engine oil. The exhaust exits the transom above the water line and has loop 3 ‘above water line. The 1998 motor has only got 720 hrs on it as it was winterised @ 125 hrs in dry dock for many years. The engine was last run for short time bout six weeks ago, started immediately and was shut down with no notable noises. Has anyone ever had any experience of similar problem? I know I need to rebuild it but I want to know fully as possible how this happened. Grateful for any advice. Thanks Neil"

"hi neil, a couple of years ag

"hi neil, a couple of years ago, i have seen the same problem on a TAMD73 engines. I believe the water came through the wet exhaust elbow-turbo and end up to the chamber while the boat was being lifted. It was not started for a while causing the same problem as yours. However you said it run fine six weeks ago this could have happen after you run the engine. Six weeks is all you need for salt water to cause damage like that. In some cases a corroded or cracked wet exhaust manifold can cause this. I hope this could help you start you diagnosis.."

Hi Neil

Sounds like your after cooler has corraded through, the after cooler is inline between the turbo and inlet manifold, the air running through the cooler is cooled by salt water running through tubes in the cooler, seen these corroded through and with the pressure from the turbo it forces the water into the head etc, hope this helps

I have had the engine re built - the problem was that the siphon breaker was closed and opened by the oil pressure in the engine. A very good solution to ensuring the siphon was closed when engine running and open when not running. PROBLEM WAS part of the rubber head of the siphon cut off piston broke off and permantly closed the loop - thus allowing sea water to siphon in. Good news was that i was told to ask if insurance covered it and to my disbeleif it did. $21,000 of insurance money later and all is well Neil

Back