Logo

BF 15 Honda Water Pump Change Frequency

john_gleason

I am wondering what the genera

I am wondering what the general recomendation is for changing the rubber impeller. Do we follow an hour recomendation or a yearly time to change the pump.

"It is recommended by most out

"It is recommended by most outboard manufacturers that you change the impeller once a year or after a heavy season of use. I have found over the years that they will usually last two seasons no problem. The most important thing to consider, in my opinion, is do you want it to fail out on the water and then change it or would you like trouble free cooling when you're having fun?

Stupid question I know. Just don't push the time envelope too far and make a habit of noting the action of the pee stream while you're out.

One other thing I recommennd, at least with the newer Hondas, is that they offer a very complete kit with new housing, wear plate, impeller, seal, gasket, bolts and (very important) new drive key for just a few dollars more than the basic impeller and gasket replacements cost separately. Another strategy for keeping the fun reliably going.

"God doesn't take from a man's life the time that he spends on the water.""

re: ""God doesn't

re: ""God doesn't take from a man's life the time that he spends on the water."

Hopefully that includes fix up and maintenance time :)

"Well I know it has been just

"Well I know it has been just about two years so I now know what I need to do. Also how do I know what 15HP model I have. The reason I ask is that I have seen on here that some put BF15, BF15D. My grandfather bought this engine, if I can remeber right, sometime in the late 90's. Also what about valve adjustment? What is the recomendation on that? And I wonder if I should be thinking about a thermostat? The motor is over 10 years old or so. And finally what service manual do you guys like? I have seen SELOC online and heard of the Honda factory service manual."

"Well, others here may have be

"Well, others here may have better info on older models than me but, as far as I know, you can take the model number off of the frame (not the engine block, which is another number)and take that to a Honda dealer and he should be able to order your parts and tell you what "B" you have.

Your thoughts about valve adjustment and replacing the thermostat are good ones and I would encourage you to do both.

Almost everyone on this site would probably steer you away from the Seloc manual and suggest that you get the Helm Publication Honda manual for your engine if you intend to do your own work. It is a bit more expensive but well worth it in my opinion. You can google Helm Inc. and navigate to their order form once you know which model you have.

To Robert A. Fierro...Amen Brother!"

"Well I went ahead and ordered

"Well I went ahead and ordered the Honda Marine manuals from Helm. I got the shop manual and a owners manual also. Oh and I found out my motor is a BF15A and has serial # 121,****."

Doggoneit! I've seen befor

Doggoneit! I've seen before on here where you can down load an owner's manual for free. Not sure about your engine but you might want to check it out and maybe cancel that one from Helm. You won't be sorry that you bought that service manual though. It's not perfect but it is way better than the others.

Attachments

• 2.vadjenje semeringa vanjski fi.20.jpg
    2.vadjenje semeringa vanjski fi.20.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 183
Back