Logo

40BE Mariner 40 hp

I was wonder what year this en

I was wonder what year this engine was made and by whom. Any information on replacement parts would be helpful as well. Mariner 40BE 676B-401228

"The "B" model Mariner

"The "B" model Mariners were built by Yamaha for Merc.

They were carbon copies of Yamaha's own model 40A which only saw production from 1977-79. Yamaha did produce their own 40B model but it was only available as a jet drive (during the same 3 model year run as the A's).

Yours is a 1978 model so it was built during the Yamaha model run. They continued to produce the A and B model Mariners for Mercury until 1981 when they pretty much ran out of parts.

They were replaced with the more advanced "C" model which saw production all the way until the early 90's.

A minimal assortment of parts is available from a Merc dealer, however, these models are pretty much orphaned - they do not resemble the C models at all and they are very difficult to retrofit.

Because of their limited production run I consider them a somewhat "disposable" motor. Decent motor if they are running but if anything major goes it's best to scrap it and buy something a little more modern...

Sorry the news isn't a little better."

Graham: So would "78"

Graham: So would "78" Yamaha parts Fit? Just wondering. Also we are having issues with fire to one of the cylinders. I was told that it was the ignition coil. So does 1/2 of the coil supply voltage to the top cylinder and 1/2 of the coil supply voltage to the bottom cylinder.
Thanks
Rick

"No. Your motor has a pretty s

"No. Your motor has a pretty standard point/condenser ignition system.

There is a single coil under the flywheel which provides power for the system. As the points open and close they allow the condenser (capacitor) to store and release power to the coils that feed the spark plugs.

Each cylinder has it's own ignition coil feeding it's respective spark plug. These two coils may be mounted together and appear as a single unit but are in fact two independant units.

You can try swapping around the two coils (identical part) and see if your problem moves. If it does it's the sparkplug ignition coil that is shot (unfortunate, been discontinued for a long time).

And yes, parts from a 77-79 Yami (40 A or B model) will work - identical powerheads..."

Back