Logo

3 or 5 blade prop

mercurymark

Contributing Member
I am running a 150hp v6 merc w

I am running a 150hp v6 merc with 3 blade 19p prop. I am looking on ebay at a 5 blade 21p prop. What would be the best prop for mostly skiing and wakeboarding.
Thanks.

To determine the proper prop w

To determine the proper prop we need to know how many RPMs you now turn at WOT with the current prop.

"As noted above, it's the

"As noted above, it's the rpm's that tell you what you need.

However, if you are pitched correctly with a 3 blade/19P then you could probably run nothing more than a 17-18P/5 blade.

Running that 21p/5 blade from Ebay would have the effect of adding about 4 passengers to your boat and leave your motor "gasping for air" since each extra blade trims 50-100 rpms from your wot rpms, all else being equal...."

G'day Mark,

Just my two bobs worth.
I currently run a 21 inch Mercury Hi Five on my '94 135 with no ventilation holes and it pulls like a train.
It will easily pull out 2 skiers from the deep.

The later Hi Fives have ventilation holes in them so would presumably get out of the hole even faster due to the introduction of exhaust gas to the blade.

Try one out if you get a chance. They are awesome.

5 bladed props are great for pulling skiers etc, great holeshot and get on the plane fast. They're not going to give the best top end, but with skiing, you don't need that.

Regards, Andrew.

with more prop blades you have less vibration but you sacrifice
efficiency. the higher the prop number means higher top end the lower the number means more weight load (like a work boat) . and of course all of the above what was stated and IB is right a book is a bible

Back