Logo

How to do mainton a 225

shutupandfish

I've never tried to do mai

I've never tried to do maint.on my 225. I would like to change impeller and o2 sensor and change oil and lower lube. I would like to know also if anyone has a pic of what the new exhaust looks like when it has been changed out.I bought my boat used and don't know if it needs to be changed. My alarm goes off when idling if I don't have my motor raised to the right position.Are there any videos of these procedures?

"I highly recommend purchasing

"I highly recommend purchasing a Honda Repair Manual to give you instructions as to how to change impeller and o2 sensor.

As for pictures showing old and new exhausts, here is a link to another post where Brain has taken some pictures of his procedure.. http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12482/375244.shtml

I am sure he would be happy to share his experience and level of difficulty."

"i can't think of any way

"i can't think of any way to tell if you have the updated exhaust without removing the the extension case. if you are going to do the water pump yourself, its only another handful of bolts to get the case off. the job wasn't terribly difficult. just make sure you have the right tools. if i remember correctly, the large motor mount bolts required a 22mm socket and a 22mm box end wrench on the back side. i have a breaker bar, but i didn't need it. i just used a big 1/2 inch socket driver. i'm also fastidious about torque settings. so i ended up using 2 different torque wrenches. one for the small stuff and one for the bigger numbers. i also had to enlist my wife to help me remount the gear case as it was to heavy to hold with one hand and line up the driveshaft, gearshift and water tube at the same time. all told, it took me a few days to get it done. i could do it faster if i had to do it again, but i usually force myself to go slow on a project i've never done before.

i recommend reading every thread you can find on this and other forums. there really is a wealth of information out there and of course the guys here were a great help as well. i used the seloc manual online, but after seeing the recent comments about it, if i had to do it over, i'd probably just suck it up and buy a real shop manual.

one thing i didn't do in the beginning that i probably should have done was to make sure my spark plugs weren't frozen in the head. i was almost done with the maintenance when i realized that if a plug was frozen, i had much bigger problems than needing new exhaust tips. so you may want to loosen, inspect, and anti-seize the plugs before you tear down the bottom half of the outboard.

good luck."

"Hi,
As all the others above

"Hi,
As all the others above have said, get the shop manual from Helm. Those manuals are directed specifically to your engine family. The Seloc or any other "catch all" will only frustrate you at some point. "Worth every penny" is absolutely the appropriate phrase."

Back