Logo

Approx Year amp Value Of This J225

bonden

"A friend knew I might be inte

"A friend knew I might be interested. Sent me these 10 pix of a Johnson 225. Sez he can’t get to the numbers the way its sitting.

Pix:
http://sports.webshots.com/album/576911666oCuyRX?vhost=sports

Sez he did compression test and heard it run sweet before he bought it off another guy's boat last year. Thought he needed it, but ended up selling boat it was supposed to go on to a guy that already had an engine. Now he wants it gone.

Any ideas what year this is, and a ballpark of what I might offer if its in good running condition? He says if I go down there (2 hours away) we can hoist it up onto a stand and do comp test and fire it up and so on.

Anything to watch out for on this item? I don't know much about these big engines but can figure out how to work on them with a little help...

Any advice, comments and info will be much appreciated."

"Looking at the throttle linka

"Looking at the throttle linkage above the air silencer, I think it is a 1988.
On the numbers, 1988 will be a "CC", 1989 will be a "CE".....I doubt it is newer than that.
It looks like it is in poor condition...maybe $300.00 to $400.00 if the compression is 90 plus and even. I wouldn't pay more.

I just paid 750.00 for a beautiful 1995 200 fresh water only...looks like it just came off the showroom floor....but then that was an unusual deal. Guy had to move it...."

"looking at the idle adjuster,

"looking at the idle adjuster, it may be an early 90's motor.Later model had the screw, earlier had the plastic knob. BUT it could have been changed."

"I saw that plastic screw idle

"I saw that plastic screw idle timing adjustment...
They went to those plastic screw types in 1993, but the 1993 has only two hood/cowl latches. The motor shown here has three.
I studied the Evinrude parts pages, and the only year that had the same design link between the two throttle shafts was 1988...
I do believe it has 1988 carbs on it...

Look carefully at the way it is pinned with a roll pin thru the shafts at each end. I think...not sure...that was unique to 1988."

"Just looked at 1987, and it h

"Just looked at 1987, and it has the same throttle link as the 1988....
The design of that throttle link changes in 1989..."

"your right, i changed the adj

"your right, i changed the adjuster on my '90 200 to the later model, after it broke.

really need the serial # to get the actual year."

"actually,.....u need,..the mo

"actually,.....u need,..the model number...serial number,..is an individual,id number."

"Maybe when he goes to look at

"Maybe when he goes to look at it, the two of them can get it flipped over to where they can see the model number. J225TXCCE is my bet...but just guessing."

"Wow! Its amazing what you guy

"Wow! Its amazing what you guys know - thanks very much for all the info! If I get the engine, no doubt there will be stuff to fix on it and it’s a real comfort knowing advice is likely here for the asking. This is great.

Also, if this thing is only worth $400, max, are engines like this usually available? I've not ever run across other similar deals. Is it just a matter of meticulous searching of the classified ads or is there a more sure way of finding deals like this on older engines?"

"I pitched out the $400.00 buc

"I pitched out the $400.00 buck figure because the pics look pretty rough...
If it is nicer than the pics look...maybe worth more. It sort of looks like a parts motor to me, but when you look at it in person, do the compression test, lower unit oil check, and your other "due diligence" inspections, it may be a fairly good motor for you. E-bay, Craigslist, word of mouth...

I just heard of one in Denton, NC; a 1997 200 with no lower unit for $700.00. Get a lower for 300 bucks, and you have a 1997 for $1000.00. That's ten years newer than what you are looking at. It is on the Charlotte Craigslist.

Deals are out there....good luck."

"RE: 1997 200 with no lower un

"RE: 1997 200 with no lower unit for $700.00. Get a lower

Would a lower that fits a 1986 E235 fit that 1997 J200?

Is there a common place to find lowers for $300, or is that just a "keep an eye on the classified ads" thing? The ones I've seen readily availble are more like $900 and up..."

"Thanks much for the info and

"Thanks much for the info and ideas.

RE: ...1997 200 with no lower unit for $700.00. Get a lower...

Would a lower that fits a 1986 E235 fit that 1997 J200?

Is there a common place to find lowers for $300, or is that just a "keep an eye on the classified ads" thing? The ones I've seen readily availble are more like $900 and up..."

"Thanks for all the info. As i

"Thanks for all the info. As it worked out, I met the owner between our respective locations and took the engine for $400, with an option to return for refund if it has some sort of flaw that keeps it from running. Corrosion of nuts and bolts does not seem very bad on this engine - but then I don't really know which ones are likely to be trouble.

Compression was reported to be around 110. Will verify this on my own after I figure out how to do it properly - seems i read somewhere (this forum) the proceedure ain't as simple as what I used to do on much smaller engines.

Model # is J225TXCDA. 1986 for those that were guessing."

Back