Logo

671 detroit slant rebuild

stetson

I was wondering what the appro

I was wondering what the approximate cost to expect to do a rebuilt on my 671's? They are slant motors the blower is on the top. They are located in my old hatteras. They are about 1968-1970. They are na engines and I just want them gone through for piece of mind. They have some blo-by and want a ballpark.

"Howdy,

I'm assuming wh

"Howdy,

I'm assuming when you say that "they are slant motors", that you mean that they are V6-71?

I don't do these anymore and don't know but one gentleman in the entire state in California I'd trust to do one for me but just for grins and giggles I ran up a short OH kit list on a parts distributor online. What I came up with was a price of $1,200 for .030" over liner kits, .020" under main bearings, .020" under rod bearings, plus pan, rocker and head gaskets. Keep in mind that these are aftermarket parts and I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to vouch for their quality.

I had figured OEM Detroit parts at around $300 per cylinder and I think I'm probably close.

If you want the heads checked and valves ground, I'd add around $700 for a two valve set and $1000 for a four valve set.

So, your parts list, ballpark for both engines, barring any worn governor and valve train pieces, COULD be anywhere from $5000 to $6000.

But, I would advise you that the real and TRUE piece of mind you are seeking will come from the skill, knowledge and competence of the guy you hire to do the job. And if you can even find a good one, that is NOT gonna be cheap. It shouldn't be either. I don't believe there are many good ones left that rebuild these engines with any regularity so finding a good independent or shop to do the work will be tantamount to a successful outcome.

So, I would expect to pay NO LESS than $75 to $100 per hour labor and have the job take 24 to 30 billable hours per engine keeping in mind no abnormal measurements requiring machining of the block and or crankshaft.

If it were me and I was shopping around, I would probably budget $10 to $12,000 for a class "A" "in frame" job. And, as they say on TV; "your results may vary." ;~)"

Sorry if I was not clear on en

Sorry if I was not clear on engine type. The motors are in-line671 na's. The 671 is turned on its side. Thanks for the info it was very informative. My boat is located in texas close to Galveston.

"i can give you a quote but i

"i can give you a quote but i need to know what type of overhaul you want,normally its all new cylinder kits,head,bearings,injectors,and possibly blower but it is normally around $3,500 in parts plus your mechanic pay(i depend on how hard the job is) which can vary. i am out of lafayette,la i work in galveston often,i have been working on 2-cycle detroits for 20yrs certified plus hands-on. i could do it for you for at cost price of parts and warranty."

Back