Logo

Tohatsu M40C Issues

asvick70

"I have an older model tohatsu

"I have an older model tohatsu M40C. This motor is a mid 80's model and it is on a 16 ft Hobie Power Skiff. The motor is in good shape, and runs well when its running. Here lies the problem. The carb floods quite frequently. The motor runs fine with the muffs on out of the water. When the motor is in the water it has a hard time starting. I must remove the cover and feather the throttle to warm it up and keep it running (about one min or so). Then it will run fine for some time or stall out while powering up. If I anchor the boat and sit for a while it will not start and flood the carb. I have to keep a spare set of pluggs in the boat. It also seems to emit a sheen on the water when trying to start. At first I though it was a rich mixture of 50 to 1 but i am very strict when mixing fuel. I have had the motor in to the shop to adjust the carb but it doesnt seem to do the trick. I plan on removing the carb and disasembling it to give it a good cleaning. Is there anyhting else I should do to fix this problem? Yes I do have a manual and have tried to troubleshoot it by this means. The motor just doesnt want to run right.

I also have a sticky throttle cables. My throttle is located nest to the senter console and seems to be sticking. it will shift (0 being neutral and 100 being full throttle) from 0 to 30 while throttling up. I will then have to back it down, but whiplash has already set in. Do you usually see a problem like this in the throttle housing or the cables?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The STRIPERS are comming and I want to be ready!!"

-on the carb is there any part

-on the carb is there any particular part i should purchase in advance and replace while cleaning and reasembling?

-on the cables do i buy them for the length of the boat or the distance from the controlls to the motor? I have never had to deal

"I would use a new carb kit, j

"I would use a new carb kit, just because it probably could use a new needle. Pull a cable and measure it to get the right length."

Back