Logo

8v Detroit black smoke

blaprairie

Engine was blowing black smoke

Engine was blowing black smoke under load. Blower was full of oil so I replaced it (blower). Ran the engine about 10 hours and still smoking. Any suggestions for the next step.

"Well the blower did need repa

"Well the blower did need repair if it was full of oil so you did good there. Probably money well spent.

SMOKE: three basic types;
1. white...unburned fuel. usually caused by lack of heat from poor compression. The "white smoke" is actually atomized fuel particles and not really smoke. Dangerous because it is fuel ready to combust. Fire hazard.

Another "white smoke" is steam from water ingestion and, again, not really smoke.

2. Blue smoke...caused by crankcase oil being burned in the cylinder. Usual suspects are rings and valve guides.

3. The black smoke is INCOMPLETE COMBUSTION and is usually caused by one of a few things or a little bit of all.

First thing to check because it is the easiest and cheapest is the intake system. The fuel will not burn COMPLETELY if it isn't mixed with enough air. So, if you have a turbo, that is suspect. Also, if you run any sort of air filtration make sure that it is clean and unclogged. If the engine has an emergency shutdown system, make sure that is not tripped and is fully latched open. If you have an aftercooler or intercooler they can become clogged with dirt particles. An aftercooler sits under the blower and if the blower was puking oil then the oil will cause the aftercooler fins to clog.

The other part of "breathing" properly is the exhaust system. If you can't remove the exhaust gasses efficiently, then that will leave the cylinder undercharged with air just as if the intake were clogged. Since this engine (you didn't specify exactly WHICH 8v) does utilize multiple exhaust valves, the valve lash should be checked. Also make sure any muffler system is not internally broken or blocked.

The next likely suspect would be over fueling. You might be getting the right amount of air but you are injecting too much fuel. This can be caused by many factors:
Wrong injectors-too large.
Damaged injectors-imprecise fuel delivery due to damaged tips
Improperly timed injectors-engine needs tune-up
Improperly adjusted/worn governor-engine needs tune-up

There are some other reasons for the engine to smoke black like overloading but I have to go now so I hope I've given you some food for thought."

"Jimmy, thanks for the list of

"Jimmy, thanks for the list of possible causes for smoke. It will come in very handy for this problem along with others in the future."

Back