Logo

V653 oil pressure problems

greenhydropower

"I have a v-653 that when firs

"I have a v-653 that when first started will have extreme oil pressure near or over 100 psi at the inlet side of the remote oil filter. The pressure at the engine is also near 100 psi. As the engine warms up the pressure will drop. When running at 1900 rpm and 165 degrees of temp the oil pressure at the remote filter housing will be near 70 psi and the oil pressure at the engine will be near 28 psi. I replaced both oil pressure valves in the front of the engine and also replaced the oil cooler. When I replaced the oil valves it seemed to raise the pressure at startup. When I replaced the oil cooler it did raise the oil pressure 5 psi at operating temp. Is there something else to look at? 70 psi at the remote filter and 28 psi at the engine does not seem good, could there be a blockage in the outlet remote filter hose that goes back to the engine? Any suggestions?"

"Hi, I was sort of hoping some

"Hi, I was sort of hoping someone more familiar with the 53 series would answer you. I'm an old 71 and 92 guy and I've never had the pleasure of doing too much on a 53. 100 psi is somewhat alarming in that the the oil cooler won't stand much more than that and you could be replacing another one soon. Also, the main and rod bearings will "errode" with too much pressure as well as the undue stress it puts on the pump.

Here's the way I see your problem:
The oil pump creates the the flow by moving the oil in volume. Pumps don't create pressure they only create flow. So, we know that RESTRICTION creates the pressure we see. You could very well be correct that the return line or gallery it feeds is plugged up.

What concerns me is that the oil pressure relief on that engine should be around 65 to 70 psi and you should never be able to make 100 psi if that is working properly. Is the oil pressure relief one of the valves you changed?

Anyway, I hope that you have it figured out by now and I apologize for not answering sooner."

Back