Logo

35 hp mercury shortshaft

phillips222

"HEY, 35HP IS GOING ON A PONTO

"HEY, 35HP IS GOING ON A PONTOON BOAT 1975 PLAYBOY 24 FT.,NEED TO KNOW ABOUT GOING TO MOUNT THIS 4 IN. LOWER THAN THE LONGER SHAFT. Is there any good way to do this."

"now, that Cliff solved the he

"now, that Cliff solved the height deal,is there a site that shows the lower water pump assemble also need help with quick silver control throttle botton will not push in to put it out of gear. this pump on the 35 hp mercruy pumps no water put the water clamp on there should have water going out the top port just under the power head right? shifter will go in gear but not let me push it into the throttle. thanks"

"The shifter is a real pain in

"The shifter is a real pain in the back side. The button is broken on the inside and must be replaced. You take the shifter off, then the plastic cover, some where in the process a couple of ball bearings fall out from the throttle tension device. Oh this brings back bad memories. My dealer was nice enough to print a breakdown for me.

To change the water pump, remove 2 5/8 nuts on lower leg, 1 9/16 nut in front of trim tab, remove trim tab to find hidden nut. Drop the lower unit down in neutral, prop spins freely. Remove slinger ring, plastic water pump cover and old impeller. Install new impeller on key that falls out, lube with Vaseline, force plastic cover over new impeller while spinning drive shaft clockwise. Install slinger and install lower unit, verify neutral. If not in neutral move front splined shaft with vise grips to find neutral. Pay attention to the cam positioned on the front shift shaft, that locks the engine down when in neutral and reverse. Lube topof drive shaft lightly with grease."

"just say that the shifter may

"just say that the shifter maybe more work than its should be,this 35hp mercury and control came off from a speed boat 1988,im now putting it on a pontoon boat 24ft, control mounts on the right side of the unit. would it just be a better to find a used control box that would mount to the area that it is now mounting on the left in a nut shell, the one that it came w/the motor will be alot of work and money mounting it to the pontoon boat. thanks"

Back